The manifesto for change
The UK today has incredible religious diversity and, for the first time, a non-religious majority. These findings should prompt an urgent rethink about religion's public role and the relationship between church and state. Britain isn't a Christian country, and we shouldn't have a state church. People should have freedom of religion, but it should end when it infringes on others' rights and freedoms.
But we need you to help to make this case to policy makers. Last year we sent all MPs a copy of our Manifesto for Change which set out our policy proposals to reform the role of religion in public life. Now is the ideal time to remind them about the recommendations that we set out in this report. We attach a template letter with some helpful tips. Please consider sending it, or something similar, to your MP – and help to make our vision for a secular Britain a reality.
Hints and tips
- Personalising your letter will make it more likely to have an impact.
- An introduction paragraph about why you are writing to the MP is useful
- Keep your thoughts fairly brief. MPs are busy and get a lot of correspondence.
- Use clear and simple language.
- If you have an interesting perspective which undermines arguments for privileging religion, consider sharing it.
- The report has 59 recommendations, why not pick out 2 or 3 that are most important to you?
- This letter is intended and has been promoted to members in England. If you want it to be relevant to non-English MPs, it will need to be personalised.
Want to help?
Enter your postcode below to find your MP and send this letter to them: