Ep 31: Graham Smith (not that type of republican)
Posted: Thu, 30 Jul 2020
If you're a secularist, should you also be a republican? How have the two movements been historically intertwined – and how close are the ties between the monarchy and the Church of England today? Why does it matter to ordinary British citizens if our political and religious establishment is still Anglican and monarchical? And will anything change under Charles III?
In this episode, Emma Park discusses these questions and more with Graham Smith. Graham is CEO of Republic, a membership-based pressure group that campaigns to abolish the monarchy. The interview is followed with a comment from the National Secular Society's Alastair Lichten.
Follow Emma on Twitter: @DrEmmaPark
- NSS research finds just a third of the public supports royal ties with the Church of England
- The monarch's role as head of the Church of England is unsustainable
- Will Anglicanism reign supreme at the next coronation?
- Republic | campaigning for a democratic alternative to the monarchy
- Find out more about the National Secular Society's republican history
- The Impeachment of The House of Brunswick, NSS founder Charles Bradlaugh's polemic against the hereditary royal family.