Poll shows that UK views its Muslims and Jews more favourably than other European countries
Posted: Wed, 28 May 2014 13:24
According to a recent poll from the US-based Pew Research Centre, the UK has a more favourable opinion of its Muslim community than any other European country surveyed.
The poll carried out in relation to the Euro elections found that 26% of Britons had an "unfavourable" view of Muslims in the country (64% were "favourable"), whereas in Italy 63% said they had an unfavourable view of Muslims with only 28% saying they have a favourable view.
In answer to the question "Do you have a favourable or unfavourable view of Muslims in your country", the full results were:
- Italy: 63% unfavourable; 28% favourable
- Greece: 53% unfavourable; 43% favourable
- Poland: 50% unfavourable; 32% favourable
- Germany: 33% unfavourable; 58% favourable
- France: 27% unfavourable; 72% favourable
- UK: 26% unfavourable; 64% favourable
In terms of the UK's Jewish community, the UK has a 7% "unfavourable" rating (with 83% "favourable"). Only Germany (5%) had a lower level of unfavourable views.
In answer to the question "Do you have a favourable or unfavourable view of Jews in your country", the full results were:
- Greece: unfavourable 47%; favourable 47%
- Poland: unfavourable 26%; favourable 59%
- Italy: unfavourable 24%; favourable 65%
- Spain: unfavourable 18%; favourable 72%
- France: unfavourable10%; favourable 89%
- UK: unfavourable 7%; favourable 83%
- Germany: unfavourable 5%; favourable 82%
See the full report here at PewGlobal.org